Monday, April 21, 2014

Creation with Donations

I love libraries - any kind of library. Two shelves in a friend's home that I pour through, looking for books I haven't read yet that I can steal. An old, musty library where I can get lost in the stacks, running my hands along the coarse spines of aged books. A new library, full of light and computers where kids plop down in sunny spots filled with brightly-colored mini-tables and chairs. Some of my happiest and most content moments in life have taken place inside that comforting, inspiring, and magical setting.

I have been volunteering or working in libraries ever since elementary school (although in elementary school "volunteer" really meant bugging the librarians until they would let me help them). I am not surprised, but rather incredibly happy, that I find myself working in a library in Uganda as well, although this time I am doing more than just working in one - I am creating one. Which, let's just face it, is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

As the first step to creating an actual library through financial aid and book donations as requested by my primary school, I have been working with the teachers to bring down the books that they do have to an empty classroom. After several Primary 7 pupils helped me carry down the few cabinets of books, I spent several weeks dusting, debugging, taping, and otherwise repairing and organizing the collection. This gave me a lot of time to think about the nature of book donations in general.

Most of the books in our current collection have been donated to the school in the past from Western countries. While I know that sending books to Africa is mostly done with the best of intentions, it appears that some education about donations needs to go along with those intentions. The kids at my school are hungry for books, this is true, but it does not mean that any book will suit their needs.

 We have a set of 25 books on shorthand - and not introductory shorthand, but accompanying texts to an intermediate book.

We also have a set of books on Canadian business mathematics - I mean, when will knowing what 50 cents in Canadian currency looks like NOT be useful in Uganda?

While sending old books that are no longer used in the U.S., Britain, or Canada may seem like a win-win for both those schools and African schools, outdated texts that are often eurocentric are not necessarily helpful for African students anymore either.

 I am guessing that kid probably didn't get his money...I wonder if he still feels the same about Metallica.
Copyright 1964 - and this is not the oldest textbook we have.


Despite the years that have passed, the jokes still remain the same.

In order for truly successful and useful libraries in Africa to be created, donations need to be solicited in a way that enables the recipient librarian to evaluate and select the materials that they need with their patrons in mind. Unfortunately, not just any books will do. Libraries need stock which is relevant, of an appropriate reading and language level, and reflective of their own culture and literature as well as others. 20 copies of Vanna White's biography just don't quite meet those standards.

It is true that my students are desperate to read, gain knowledge and further their educations; so much of their potential is going unfulfilled because of a lack of supplies, and I know that they are grateful for any books that are placed in their hands. However, to make their potential a reality, they don't need just any tools - they need the right tools. Hopefully, in the future, we will be able to provide just that. We already are lucky to have some books that address the language, current issues, and culture of our kids, and I am so excited to share those books with them:

A book in the local language, Runyankore - reading these books helps me study too!
Part of the Fountain Youth Survival Kit for Schools, created with Ugandan youth in mind.
A beginning English book written and published in Uganda.

With time, more work, and donations that take the needs of both the donor and recipient into account, we could reveal paths to these students that they have never been able to glimpse before and possibly even provide some of the comfort, inspiration, and magic that filled my childhood.

If you are interested in learning a little more about this, the following paper is one of the few studies I've found that addresses this issue. It also offers several new ideas to traditional book donation: Traditional Book Donation to Sub-Saharan Africa.

“Harry — I think I've just understood something! I've got to go to the library!”
And she sprinted away, up the stairs.
“What does she understand?” said Harry distractedly, still looking around, trying to tell where the voice had come from.
“Loads more than I do,” said Ron, shaking his head.
“But why’s she got to go to the library?”
“Because that’s what Hermione does,” said Ron, shrugging. “When in doubt, go to the library.” 
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

3 comments:

  1. A. Excellent quote, B. I want to know what Vanna White's biography is like. I'm going to have some fun here and guess at the title "Big Wheel Keeps on Turning...Letters, that is; Solving the Puzzle of Vanna White."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also curious, as well as determined to help get some good and useful books donated to your new library. My summer mission, of sorts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with Anj on the quote. If memory serves me correctly, [and it does because I have the book in front of me ;) Also **Spoilers**] that trip to the library got Hermione petrified by a giant snake. I do however like her title of Vanna White's biography.

    ReplyDelete