Friday, April 25, 2014

Grand Opening

The last few days of the term I opened up the little library that I have been working on for months. The students flocked in, destroying any semblance of order I had imposed since I haven't yet had the chance to teach them how to properly use a library, but they absolutely loved it. Seeing the looks on their faces, watching them pour over the books, and hearing them read aloud their favorite picks have been some of my happiest moments here, hands down. It was a great way to end my first term at the the primary school.

Found my first bookworm while getting the library ready - it wasn't quite as cute as my Mom and I were when we dressed up as bookworms for Halloween.

 The view outside our library.

 Our small collection of books, which will hopefully start growing!


 Dropping some of my Runyankore knowledge on the pupils.


 All of the books are graded according to reading level - which involved a lot of educated guessing, especially for the Runyankore books. If I could read it - beginning level!

 Reading corner.

 Grain sacks make great posters.

 Some of the pictures the pupils drew during DEAR Day.



Just one of the best things ever.



A happy heart.

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."
- Jorge Luis Borges

2 comments:

  1. Annnd now I'm crying. At work. This is beautiful. So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! Already making a difference. Love the 5 finger rule.

    ReplyDelete